Friday, February 25, 2011

Peroneus Longus Tear: Surgery day

I had to be at the hospital this morning at 6:30 AM for registration and prep.  My surgery was scheduled for 8:30 AM.  Of course we had a snow storm over night that made it difficult to get to the hospital, but we made it without any events.


 During prep the doctor came in and initialed the leg to be operated on, and circled the spot where the greatest pain was.  He filled me in on the procedure letting me know that he would use stitches instead of staples because they are easier to remove, meaning less painful.  I was also going to receive a soft cast with a walking boot instead of a hard cast like I expected.  He also re-informed me about exposing the entire tendon.  The medication he put me on is called Norco.  The procedure would take an hour, and then I would be asleep in recovery for a half hour. Once I would awaken I would meet with the doctor and then they were going to take me to my family after another half hour. I was going to have to stay in that room for about an hour.  So roughly 3 hours from start of surgery to heading home.

During prep, a student got to experiment on installing the IV in my hand.  It was kind of funny because she kept asking the nurse for diredtion like she wasn't sure of how to do some steps.  She ended up doing an exceptional job.  I told her she did very well, and let her know the horror story of  my last IV insert.  The nurse tried 4 times to get it in my arm, and even broke the needle off in my arm one time.  Her excuse was that I had the toughest skin she had worked with. I find that hard to believe. After that I sat in the waiting room with the fam until 9:00 AM when they took me to surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment