Thursday, February 24, 2011

Peroneus Longus Tear How it happened.

It all started September 7, 2010.  I was at the job site framing a pole, a job I have done countless times.  I stepped back to roll up some wire that was coming out of a lightning arrestor.  When my foot finally hit dirt it was in a tire rut that I didn't realize was even there, but then again I step into holes that I don't know are there all the time.  I have never had a problem with my ankles at all, but all that changed with this step.  As soon as my foot landed I felt a nice little twinge, nothing really painful.  So I continued to work on it with a little bit of a limp.  It was a little sore but I figured it would go away if I just kept working on it, it kind of did and I really didn't think much about it the rest of the day. 

I got home from work that day, slipped off my work boots, and took it easy for a little bit.  I got up to get a drink a little while later, and with my first step I knew I was in trouble. I was in major pain, and could hardly put any weight on it at all.  It was a sharp throbbing pain concentrated in one specific spot.  So I took some ibuprofen and went to bed hoping it would get better over night.

Around midnight I got called out to work because a tree limb had fallen through one of our three phase lines.  My boss went on the call out with me, and on the way out to the job I told him what I had done.  I don't think he liked the news very well but what else was I to expect.  We ended up spending most of the night out on this job because it turned out to be a whole tree instead of  just the limb.  Plus, there was wire down, and the tree was on fire, it was a mess needless to say.  Anyways I worked out of the bucket and Matt did all the ground work, since I couldn't walk.  We got done around 4 in the morning, and ended up sleeping at the shop.  I could hardly sleep because I was in pain.  My foot just kept throbbing.

I know this is kind of long and you don't want to read all the details, but I think people that have this same type of injury would be interested in hearing about my chain of events that put me in this situation.  I'm sure if they have been laid up for as long as I have they have plenty of time to read it. Just bare with me an I will get to the good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment