Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Peroneus Longus Tear: Follow up appointment

I had my first appointment with my doctor today.  Just to change out dressings and make sure everything was going ok.  So far I have had no pain at all, and have not been taking any pain medication either.  I am still sleeping very well also.

I'm not real sure what I was thinking before my appointment, but I thought there was a chance that they might do something to cause some pain.  I decided to take some pain meds, and boy was that a mistake.  I have been out of my head all day long.  It feels like an out of body experience.  I can't really think straight, and I have been extremely tired.  I won't be doing that again.  I think its better to just stay away from the drugs, for me that is.

My dad took me to my appointment today, and he was armed with the camera.  I have been dying to see what my foot looks like since I had the surgery, and finally its here .  I got one pretty good picture the doctor took for me.  I will put the pic at the bottom of this post since some of you won't want to see it.  It's going to be a healthy scar once everything is done.

The doctor said the tear in the upper part of the peroneus longus was a 6 inch longitudinal tear.  He also said the sheath encapsulating the tendon was extremely tight, which would have added to the discomfort quite a bit.  The tear by the knob was a longitudinal tear as well but not as severe as the other one.

At this point I still have to keep my foot elevated the majority of the time because there is a lot of swelling still.  I am allowed to remove the boot and move my foot around a bit, but just don't over do it.  They said after the surgery I can only be on it for 5 minutes at a time, and this still applies.

My next appointment is March 8th at 10AM.  I will be getting my stitches taken out at this appointment, and will be given a little more mobility also.

Well, it's time for the pic. If you get sick to your stomach easy you might not want to look at it.





I think It looks pretty good.  There is a lot of writing on it still from where he marked everything before the surgery.  After the doctor put my dressing back on I got extremely hot, light headed and lost hearing.  I just about fainted, but after a bottle of orange juice and a cold rag I was just fine.  I had not eaten a whole lot before the appointment, so I think this had something to do with it.  I'm fine now, and getting ready to go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment